Buy GoPro HERO Camera at GoPro.com

Thread: Smallmouth in the Cold

River Basser RIVER

Default Smallmouth in the Cold

[IMG]s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452[/IMG]
    I fished today on two small creeks in Tennessee and caught 5 smallmouth and one largemouth bass. This is the first smallmouth of the year for me and I have never ventured out in weather this cold on a smallmouth stream. I began with my casting rod throwing a 1/4 ounce spinnerbait and had several fish swirl at the bait. I switched to my spinning rod and a McStick jerkbait and caugth fish in the deeper holes. They were holding just out of the main current in slack water 6 to 8 feet deep.

I had been waiting for the water to get right and the temperature dropped, the high today was 35, so I went any way. The fish that I caught all hit the jerk bait with authority and I did lose one very good fish that just came unbuttoned. The water was very clear and I could see each fish during the entire fight. I also saw some very large fish in another hole that I was unable to entice. I suspect based on their behavior that they were smallmouth. The weatherman says it will get down to 15 tonight so I might wait till after lunch tomorrow. I did have knock ice out of my guides today.

RB State Rep RIVER BASSIN FLOOD Jump n Fish's Avatar

Was this the one you were trying to post?

River Basser RIVER

That is one of several that I caugth yesterday. Thanks for posting the picture.

RB State Rep RIVER BASSIN FLOOD MidTNKayakAngler's Avatar
    Live in Old Hickory, TN - Have lived in Indiana, Florida, West Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia

Very nice. I usually stay off the rivers during the winter, just because I've never fished rivers in the winter, and feel more comfortable on larger bodies of water. We were planning on making it out this past weekend, but Sarah was in a car accident last week and is still really sore.

River Basser RIVER

This is a first for me on moving water. The rivers and creeks I have fished in the past have been here in Mississippi and they get alot of runoff. High or low muddy water is not what I want to fish when it comes to moving water, especially in the winter. The rock based creeks with lots of springs feeding them are a different ball game. The creek I fished was clearer than I have ever seen it. I did not have a thermometer to check the water temp, but I suspect that it was pretty warm. The combination of springs, rocks, and clear water leads me to think that small streams may not have the drastic temperature changes larger bodies of water have. Hope Sarah gets to feeling better soon. See Yall on the Water

River Basser STREAM

Nice report...thanks for sharing.