Buy GoPro HERO Camera at GoPro.com

Thread: North GA River Stripes

Default North GA River Stripes

Got out for a Solo trip this morning for a couple hours. Weather was nice this morning and about 70 degrees and sunny when I finally got to where I wanted to fish (about 2 hours after I should have been there, but couldn't get out of bed this morning :roll: ). Water flow was pretty low but water temp was PRIMO for Striped Bass in the 67-68 degree range... After running through some 3-4 inch deep shoals in "Rock Buster" (which is what I call my jetboat), I anchored up and fished a couple of the 5-10 feet deep holes that are surrounded by water less than 2 feet deep.

River looked very good and clear, but a little lower than I like it. I was mainly floating Gizzard Shad under balloons over the deeper holes, but I also got one on Cutbait on the bottom (5" threadfin cut from tail to gills, the whole shad though). First spot I fished I landed 3 decent Stripers and broke a GOOD fish off... Also had one pull on a cut shad on the bottom that I missed/didn't get the hook. I casted a jointed stickbait for a while but no takers on the artificial.

Moved upstream a ways to another decent hole about 10-12 feet deep and put out a few baits

And got one more Striper and missed a hookset on another one.

Beautiful day to be on the river and hope some of you guys were able to get on the water and catch a few fish today. Even though I only landed 4 stripers I am sure MANY more were there. If I had been there at dawn I probably would have caught wayyyy more fish. Also none of the fish I landed were over 15 lbs but the one that broke me off was DEFINITELY over 20 and I am certain there are some larger Stripers there. Fun morning though and maybe I will get a big one next time.

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD basshead's Avatar

Nice stuff right there!

RB State Rep RIVER BASSIN FLOOD MidTNKayakAngler's Avatar
    Live in Old Hickory, TN - Have lived in Indiana, Florida, West Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia

That's great. The Striper bite is on fire here. I caught 25 the other day with this 18lb being my biggest of the day.

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD dmurf2005's Avatar

Nice stripes fellas!
    Keepin' It Reel

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
    That's great. The Striper bite is on fire here. I caught 25 the other day with this 18lb being my biggest of the day.

VERY NICE... June always seems to be good for Stripers up in some current, and July/August too if you can find water 72 degrees or less.

RB State Rep RIVER BASSIN FLOOD MidTNKayakAngler's Avatar
    Live in Old Hickory, TN - Have lived in Indiana, Florida, West Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia

That's what I'm afraid of Dirk, the temps getting to hot to sucessfully be able to target these fish. The 1st sign I see of not sucessfully being able to release them, or struggling I will move on to another fish. For now they are doing ok.

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD turkey's Avatar

good fish dirk
    Give a man a fish...he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish...his wife won't see him much.